Saturday, March 19, 2005

Book of Interest: Bad Leadership

I decided to start sharing some of the business books I have read lately that have enabled me to develop and to help others advance both personally and professionally.

First though, I want to explain how I learned of the book I'm about to recommend. I was looking for a good speaker on leadership for the WPO Chicago chapter members and emailed the ultimate leadership guru Warren Bennis to ask him for a recommendation. He came right back and suggested Barbara Kellerman -- Research director of the Center for Public Leadership and lecturer in public policy at Harvard University's Kennedy School of Government -- and also indicated she had just (October, 2004) authored a good book called "Bad Leadership."

I bought the book, read it and found it fascinating. Kellerman was a keynote speaker at last year's WPO annual conference and she's no stranger to fierce intellect and a strong sense of purpose. I hope to bring her to Chicago soon to talk about leadership principles but in the meantime, read on.

"Bad Leadership" is an intriguing book for its explanation of why we have bad leaders, how you recognize them (seven types) and how to rid ourselves of or from bad leadership. It's an easy, fresh read. I highly recommend it.

To learn more or to order "Bad Leadership," visit our national partner, 800-CEO-READ.

No comments: